The colder weather and the holidays call for a toasty fire, wouldn't you agree? Here are a few tips to safely heat your home during the winter:
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually (PDF), especially if it hasn’t been used in a long time.
- Never use fuel burning appliances without proper ventilation. Burning fuel (coal, kerosene, or propane) can produce deadly fumes.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening to prevent sparks or embers from jumping out.
- Avoid using electrical space heater in bathrooms or other areas where it can come in contact with water.
- Be sure every level of your home has a working smoke detector. Check it on a monthly basis.