Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Sending Care Packages to Our Troops Overseas

The holidays are just around the corner. Often, when the holiday season hits we try to stop and think of how we can help others. Here’s an idea, how about sending care packages to our troops overseas? 

Here’s how:
United States Postal Service (USPS)
Send a care package to a loved one in the military using the United States Postal Service (USPS)
Check out the guidelines for international shipping and make sure the items you’re sending are permitted in the destination country.
Follow the instructions to send packages to military and diplomatic personnel. Include the recipient’s full name, unit number and military mail address with the Army or Air Force Post Office (APO), Fleet for Navy and Marines Post Office (FPO), or Diplomatic Post Office (DPO).
Use the internet to fill out a Customs Form to attach to the package.
Note: USPS doesn’t accept packages that are over 70 pounds. You can also check the country’s package weight limits.
For additional information about sending mail contact USPS at 1-800-275-8777.

United Service Organizations (USO)
Show your support through United Service Organizations (USO)
The USO is a nonprofit organization through which you can buy care packages of items (comfort foods, books, movies, etc.) or services such as phone calls home for troops overseas. You can also make tax-deductible donations to send the troops holiday gifts or to honor a loved military member.
Note: These packages and services are sent to troops in general rather than to individual service members.
If you have additional questions about the USO, contact the organization at 1-888-484-3876.

These care packages are sure to brighten the day of our troops who are away from home and loved ones during the holidays.

No comments: