Let's take a stroll down memory lane!
Photograph courtesy of the Arcadia History Collection, Arcadia Public Library. #844
Otto P. Petersen was a prominent restaurateur in Arcadia. He bought The Pines Coffee Shop in 1929, which had previously been called Odette's. He also purchased The Derby Tavern (as it was then called) in 1936. His son William O. Petersen and George Woolf, the triumphant Seabiscuit jockey, purchased The Derby from Otto in 1938. The following year George Woolf purchased William’s share. When Otto P. Petersen passed away, all the businesses in Arcadia honored him by closing for one hour during his funeral services on December 7, 1948.
This photograph shows the front view of The Pines Coffee Shop, circa 1937. It was located at the Drive-In Market area at the southwest corner of Huntington and First Avenue, where the Washington Mutual Bank (formerly Home Savings) now stands. Otto’s air-conditioned restaurant, at this prime downtown location, certainly must have been a popular eatery in Arcadia.