Wednesday, April 02, 2014

File Your Taxes!

Federal tax returns must be filed by April 15th. Here’s a little information about filing, requesting an extension, checking your refund, and more:
File Your Taxes
Over 100 million people filed their taxes electronically last year. Electronic filing (e-file) makes filing your taxes easier, reduces the risk of error, and you’ll receive your refund faster. The IRS can help you find an authorized e-file provider in your area.
You can also file your federal tax return by mail. You can print forms and publications from the IRS website or find them at your local library. Before mailing them in, make sure to double check your math for errors. Visit the IRS for a list of the most common tax formsand instruction booklets for each form. The IRS has information about which form to use: the 1040-EZ, 1040A, or 1040.
Deadline to File and Requesting an Extension
April 15, 2014 is the due date for filing your federal individual income tax return for the 2013 calendar year. For other deadlines, review Publication 509 Tax Calendar (PDF).
If you cannot file by the deadline, you need to request an extension. There are electronic and paper options available to file an extension. Download the form and learn more about your options.
Check Your Refund
If you pay more money than you owe, the government will issue you a tax refund. If you expect a refund, visit Where's My Refund? to track it.
You can check on the status of your refund 24 hours after you e-file. If you filed a paper return, please allow 4 weeks before checking on the status.

Have more questions? Click here for more tax filing resources.

No comments: