Before Arcadia High School was built in 1951, Arcadians attended high school in Monrovia, with students from Duarte, too. It was called Monrovia-Arcadia-Duarte High School, or simply, M-A-D. The school was located at 845 W. Colorado Blvd., which is now Monrovia High School. In the 1927-1928 school year, there were 210 Arcadia students at M-A-D. By 1950-1951, the enrollment from Arcadia was 933, enough to establish its own area high school. This c. late 1930s photograph is a view looking northeast toward M-A-D High School, showing the main portion of the buildings, including the Bell Tower.
A cherished collection of M-A-D memorabilia is currently on display at the Arcadia Public Library until September 30, 2013. Come in and take a look!