Friday, January 25, 2013

Free Tax Preparation Assistance

In partnership with the office of Congresswoman Judy Chu (27th Congressional District), the Arcadia Public Library is offering two programs to assist you with your 2012 taxes.

Facilitated Self-Assistance

If you have a simple return with an adjusted gross income of less than $57,000 and have experience preparing and filing your tax return online than you are eligible to make free use of the tax preparation and e-filing software found at This site may be accessed at home or by using the Library’s computers. The IRS will start accepting and processing returns on 1/30/13.

What you’ll need to get started:
· Basic computer skills
· A valid email address
· Social Security Cards or valid ITIN numbers for you, your spouse and dependents
· Income information: W2, 1099, Social Security Income
· Any applicable deduction/expenses information
· Copy of your 2011 tax return
· Bank account and routing information for direct deposit of refund

If you need help navigating the software email your questions to Lena Ng at Lena is a certified VITA tax preparer from Congresswoman Judy Chu’s District Office in Pasadena and will respond to your questions within 24 hours. Lena will also be at the Library and taking questions every Thursday from 10 am to 4 pm, 2/7/13-4/11/13.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

For taxpayers with an annual income of $51,000 or less volunteer tax preparers will be at the Library every Thursday from 12 pm to 4 pm, 2/7/13-4/11/13, to assist you one-on-one with the preparation and filing of your tax return. Appointments are required. To schedule yours please call 626-304-0110. For e-file on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. Assistance is available in English and Chinese.

What you’ll need to bring with you:
· Proof of identification (photo ID)
· Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents
· Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
· All income statements: W-2, W2-G, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, Social Security Income
· Interest and dividend statements (1099)
· A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
· Total paid for child daycare and daycare provider’s tax identifying number
· Tuition fees and expenses
· Proof of bank routing number and your account number for direct deposit (such as a blank check)
· Landlord’s name, address and phone number if claiming CA Renter’s Credit

For questions or to make an appointment, please call the office of
Congresswoman Judy Chu at 626-304-0110.

No comments: